Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Return to cheboksaryrussia.net

Advanced
Thinking of moving to Cheboksary down the road
June 03, 2009 12:00AM
Hi folks,

I am an American living in Maine, USA, and am seriously pondering moving to Russia down the road. My wife is from yoshkar-ola, but I am thinking there would be more in the way of employment opportunities as well as views of the lovely Volga if we settled into Cheboksary. Has anyone else here done this before? I am absolutely intrigued by the concept, and any information anyone has would be highly appreciated. I have a modest military pension (1500/month) and am educated, though my Russian is nonexistent right now. I appreciate your time in advance :-) I am also relatively young (38), so I want to find a career there that would be rewarding, perhaps teaching or the like :-)
Re: Thinking of moving to Cheboksary down the road
June 03, 2009 11:12PM
Hello diablogun,

Welcome to the forum. smileys with beer

I have given some thought of moving to Cheboksary when I retire from the Navy in the near future. Your military retirement pay is enough to live on and Cheboksary is a thriving city with modern conveniences. You would definitely need to become fluent in Russian to live there. Unlike Moscow, English is not widely spoken in Cheboksary. You should go visit for a month so you can get a feeling for how your life would be there. In the end, we will most likely remain in the States due to the better quality of living and opportunities we can provide for our children. Still the thought of the life we could have there based off retirement a relatively young age is very tempting.

Also check out AMERUSMILFAMILY - Russian wives & husbands of US Military.
June 04, 2009 02:16AM
I have been to Cheboksary a few times, and loved it each time, and I thank you for the information :-) Are there many Americans/foreigners that live there? I am glad that it is not swamped with them, because I want to live around and learn from the Russian folks that I make as friends. Concerning business in the area, is the local government open to people starting small business, or does one only get ahead by paying off the right folks?

And you are right, as my wife always tells me I need to learn Russian well :-)

Have you stayed there many times? Do you have any idea of the cost of renting/buying a place? I looked on the Internet but cannot find a lot about cost of living in Cheboksary, I kind of imagine that it is similar to Yoshkar-Ola. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions :-)
June 04, 2009 03:58AM
diablogun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Concerning business in the area, is the local government open
> to people starting small business,
>
Hi,
Take a look at the Chuvash Chamber of Commerce and Industry web site. Its very comprehensive and lists all the business sectors you might want to link up with there.
The people to talk to are Ekaterina Predachenko or Olga Ivannikova, at the CCC&I Department of Foreign Affairs, Тел: +7 (8352) 63-96-97. E-mail: enjo@tppchr.ru
They speak very good English.
June 04, 2009 06:25AM
That is a very good website; is it correct to say that a foreigner would not be disliked if they tried to open, for example, a small store? My extended family (wife's) in Russia are some of the best people in the world, I hope that is the same for the locals in Cheboksary. I know that my wife thinks very well of Cheboksary and its environment. Do you live there?
June 04, 2009 11:38AM
Diablogun

I moved here ( retired ) from Michigan and have been here in Cheboksary for nearly 2 yrs. Let me tell you it is not that easy to just move here. You have a lot of paper work to do.Then you can only stay for 90 days on Buis. Visa. If you work it right you go back to the USA for 10 days and apply for a differant Visa and your back in the door. Then you do it all over again...i do not where your wifes papers or how that will work ... seeing she is Russian .
You can get an APT for about 5,000 Rub = $170 a month = 1 room Bigger you want the higher it goes. i do know some that can help you find a flat, and not get bit. The food is great and at a very good price. As for driving WOW ... they just do not go by the rule like in the USA. . You can use your your old Drivers Lic just have it translated.
It is a must You have to learn Russia and my Russian is very bad. Just tell me when your ready to go fishing.
Any shop you open here, you will do good here in Cheboksary. With a small amount of money
This is not Mocow = USA New York prices
Oh, yes to buy a flat here it is very costly like in the USA. and do not use a broker anothe 25% +++.
Artist is spelled wrong for a reason.
Got any questions where to do your paper work, where to do your shopping, drop me line and let me know when you will be in town.
Aritist
June 04, 2009 12:20PM
This is great news, I am glad to know there is someone there already. Thank you so much for the information :-) Why did you decide to move there, what is it that hooked you? It is my understanding that the area is very nice, and from my 3 visits(all day trips) I liked what I saw. Also, it may seem sort of strange, but I have wanted to live in Russia for some time, and I like to plan for all contingencies when pondering something like this. On my side I want the wife to get citizenship here first, and I want to finish my graduate studies, and this will take 3 years. Then I would have to divest assets, sell our house, etc., but that should be pretty easy to do. Our next trip there will be early next year, and I think I will rent a place there instead of Y-Ola so I can investigate the area and take you up on that fishing offer :-)

So you are still using your US license there? Have you made some Russian friends?

Do you know if they have a catholic church in Cheboksary? I found that there is one in Kazan, but that is a long way to travel for church.

Sorry to bother you with so many questions, but I am excited at this possibility, and particularly like the take that another American would have on such a move. Thank you again for any information you give :-)
June 04, 2009 04:40PM
diablogun Wrote:
> Do you have any
> idea of the cost of renting/buying a place?

If you sell your house in America you will be able to buy a very nice apartment or a house in Cheboksary.

> Do you know if they have a catholic church in Cheboksary?

No.
June 05, 2009 06:54AM
Thanks Lemon, I guess I will accompany the wife to the Orthodox church. What do you think the cost of a really large 2000 sf apartment in Cheboksary, assuming they come in that size?
June 06, 2009 02:35AM
diablogun Wrote:
> Thanks Lemon, I guess I will accompany the wife to
> the Orthodox church. What do you think the cost of
> a really large 2000 sf apartment in Cheboksary,
> assuming they come in that size?

diablogun,

Looks like while I was gone all you questions have been answered. It is good to see the forum come alive in response. I know that there is a Baptist Church in Cheboksary, so that gives you another option and I heard American Pastors visit it often. I'm not sure of the size, but my wife's friend recently purchased a new 2 bedroom hi-rise apartment overlooking the Volga for 1 Million Rubles. The same as anywhere else outside of the city limits prices are cheaper. A few years ago we sent Natalia's Mother $7000.00 in order to upgrade to a nice large 4 bedroom apartment in Yadrin from a 1 bedroom. That plus the money from the sale of her 1 bedroom was enough to include remodeling. Now we always have a place to stay for visits, not sure if it is 2000 sf, but there was more than enough room for all of us. I'm sure he guys there have better gouge.
June 06, 2009 12:21PM
This is good news; the prices sound similar or maybe even cheaper than Yoshkar-Ola. I was pondering whether to try to buy land and build a house or get an apartment. Do you visit often tiger? Do you find it easy to make friends?
June 06, 2009 02:25PM
There are apartments springing up all over the place so I don't imagine you'll have much trouble finding your Volga view, and on a sunny day Cheb is really nice. I know a fluent english speaking lawyer, and you are going to need one, by the way you are talking, sooner than later.
June 06, 2009 02:50PM
Thanks for the information; I'll ask you for his information as we get closer :-)
June 15, 2009 04:26PM
diablogun Wrote:
> What do you think the cost of
> a really large 2000 sf apartment in Cheboksary,
> assuming they come in that size?

An apartment of that size costs about $ 250000 today in Cheboksary. For the same amount of money you can buy a very nice house of bigger size somewhere on the outskirts of the city.
June 15, 2009 10:16PM
7.5 million rubles for that size of apartment? WOW! I won't be buying that then!
September 06, 2012 05:55AM
This is very good information, I am grateful to know there is someone there already.
March 09, 2014 10:08PM
Very envious of your life, bless you lucky.

---------------------------------------------------------
tags:Wholesale Swimwear|Wholesale Sexy Bikinis|cheap corsets and bustiers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login